Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why no new MP3s? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=102)

khchris(original) 03.22.2006 05:57 AM

Why no new MP3s?

C'mon, guys! I'd like a teaser before the new album comes out!

Soundtrax 03.22.2006 06:09 AM

there are supposed to be 5 acoustic songs somewhere, anyone knows where to get them?

toxic johnny 03.22.2006 06:13 AM

You can get them on Soulseek I believe

dazedcola 03.22.2006 03:17 PM

Im trying to remember how much earlier was the "unmade bed" single available before nurse came out. Anyone wanna enlighten me ?

Fox 03.22.2006 03:50 PM

I'll upload the Thurston Moore 2005 Acoustic Set with Do you Believe in Rapture, Or, Pink Steam...

Isoflurane 03.22.2006 03:59 PM

Yeah, I remember when Murray Street Came out, you could get the whole Album online a matter of months before you could buy the record.
Someone has to be able to get us this shit.
Come on, Journalists. Put the record in iTunes.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 04:28 PM

the thurston acoustic songs, in my opinion, suck

nancykitten 03.22.2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
C'mon, guys! I'd like a teaser before the new album comes out!

It's early days, dear.

They'll probably upload an mp3 a month or so before the release; ala I Love You Golden Blue.

noisereductions 02.13.2009 11:43 AM

bumped, because it's funny that this is on the very first (last?) page. It seems so relevent.

uhler 02.13.2009 12:30 PM

because mp3s suck.

Concrete Abutments 02.13.2009 12:43 PM

mp3's DO suck! I'm in total agreement. Nothing like a virtual music collection that can bite the dust any day as technology sees fit. Not to mention a huge loss of warmth and fidelity in the music itself. Compression is the scourge of all sound waves.

Rob Instigator 02.13.2009 01:08 PM

I like MP6's

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
mp3's DO suck! I'm in total agreement. Nothing like a virtual music collection that can bite the dust any day as technology sees fit. Not to mention a huge loss of warmth and fidelity in the music itself. Compression is the scourge of all sound waves.

so what happens if your records melt, warp or scratch?

what happens when your tapes tear, get scratched or wear out?

what happens when your CDs get scratched to shit, or break or lost?

ALL musical media have their flaws, for one I like mp3s and have been using them for years long before I even got an ipod.. it is terribly convenient to have all your music in one place, either on a hard drive, or a flash drive, or a smaller pile of data discs, than to have volumes and volumes full of cassettes, vinyl, and CDs...

and in regards to sound quality, it is all lost in the mixdown to 44.1k to begin with and we all cant walk around listening to music on two inch reel to reel..

joe11121 02.13.2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
because mp3s suck.

Oh yeah!

greedrex 02.13.2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
we all cant walk around listening to music on two inch reel to reel..

Concrete Abutments 02.13.2009 07:43 PM

"it is terribly convenient to have all your music in one place"

That's the problem. We're a society bent on convenience.

And my records don't warp, scratch or wear out because I take care of them. I've also never owned even one CD that's been scratched to shit or broken or lost because I take care of them.

Mixdown may dump some of the sound but mp3's STILL sound thin, shrill and empty. Of course if you're ripping at 320kbps it's extremely difficult to hear it. 128 kbps is garbage. Might I add that the pan flutes of Zamfir won't reveal a loss at 128kbps either. The more complex the music the more shitty an mp3 will be!

I just like to be sure I'm hearing it all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
"it is terribly convenient to have all your music in one place"

That's the problem. We're a society bent on convenience.

And my records don't warp, scratch or wear out because I take care of them. I've also never owned even one CD that's been scratched to shit or broken or lost because I take care of them.

Mixdown may dump some of the sound but mp3's STILL sound thin, shrill and empty. Of course if you're ripping at 320kbps it's extremely difficult to hear it. 128 kbps is garbage. Might I add that the pan flutes of Zamfir won't reveal a loss at 128kbps either. The more complex the music the more shitty an mp3 will be!

I just like to be sure I'm hearing it all.

I am not so much bent on convenience as much as access. I enjoy having access to my entire collection more leisurely, while it takes the spontaneity out of choosing what to listen to, before I converted my discs to mp3 I would get stuck on a few albums over and over again, more out of convenience than the mp3 player! It was more convenient to listen to the same pile of discs I had dug out then to dig out a new pile, and this continues. In my living room I have a regular CD player and a pile of discs which I randomly replace with a new pile, and I get stuck on the same shit for ever out there, where as in my bedroom and in my pocket I have everything and listen to a tremendous variety of music across my day..

for my part, I say long live the mp3. I am the analog nut, but as far as I am concerned that is in recording, and truthfully, the horrifying reality of dithering and the mix-down already disillusioned me from audio purity years ago... alas alas

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex

that is a challenge you can keep, I only lug around heavy objects for paychecks, not recreation.

but I am down for this mothrfucker right here:

SonicBebs 02.15.2009 03:46 PM

minidiscs baby!!!

GeneticKiss 02.15.2009 04:18 PM

Ah yes, minidiscs...the 8-track of our era...