Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   who thought.... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11119)

fluxequalsrad 03.08.2007 12:59 PM

who thought....

Expirimental Jet Set was gonna be the best Sonic Youth record after hearing Winner's Blues + Bull in the Heather + first 20 seconds of Starfield Road?

ehn?

screamingskull 03.08.2007 01:02 PM

ahem it is the best, says screaming skull!

naa, its not that bad really, sweet shine is the most beautiful song Kim has ever written i love it.
i prefer EJST&NS to dirty, a thousand leaves, nyc ghosts & flowers and sonic nurse

GrungeMonkey 03.08.2007 04:13 PM

I really like it actually, I bought it fairly recently, don't know if I like it more than dirty. But its definately much better than many people give it credit for. I really like Self Obsessed and Sexee. And the aforementioned first three tracks...

kat~topia 03.08.2007 05:00 PM

i adore the entire album!!! winners blues is such an amazing way to start off an album...but yea, i just love the whole entire album...

the ikara cult 03.08.2007 05:12 PM

Ive been getting into it recently, its been my most ignored album thus far.
Self Obsessed and Sexxee and Winners Blues are really good!

the ikara cult 03.08.2007 05:14 PM

Actually my dad got me The Japanese Import of this album for my birthday... doesnt contain any Bonus tracks or anything, all it has is a nice obi strip thing and a lyrics insert... ah bless he tried. He did find me the Demonlover soundtrack last Xmas though so his efforts are applauded.

Bal 03.08.2007 05:30 PM

Kims songs are sooooo good on ejstans!
All of them!
i think many people dont like it cause it doesnt have a Lee song... theyre to snobby :D

fluxequalsrad 03.08.2007 06:17 PM

Skink is amazing. Really cool and down low and the production soars during the 'kiss me on, kiss me on the lips,.' part.

I like the whole album better then Dirty. Androgynous Mind + Quest for the Cup are a little lacking...but thats ok

You gotta love that Butch Vig mixing.

Danny Himself 03.08.2007 06:47 PM

I don't understand why people wail on this album so much. It's one of my favorite records by SY. 'Starfield Road' and 'Bone' are PERFECT noisefuckers, and 'Winners Blues' and 'Sweet Shine' are beautiful little ditties. Thurston's little 'psychic hearts' tunes can sound like filler on the first listen but the more you listen to the album the more they seem right.

Green Magnesium 03.08.2007 08:26 PM

Bone, Sweet Shine and Bull In the Heather are three of Kim's best songs IMO. I dunno, I have a love-hate relationship with Thurston's tunes on this one... Winner's Blues, Starfield Road, and Screaming Skull are the only ones I seem to consitently enjoy.

finding nobody 03.08.2007 09:06 PM

I got the idea it would be very different. Not better

RanaldoNecro 03.08.2007 09:44 PM

Its a great album...I don't even consider it to be a dud.

aaronalive 03.08.2007 10:54 PM

Its one of my favorite sonic youth records. I'm not sure how anyone doesn't feel that its great. The first 5 or 6 songs are just perfect. Overall its a great listen.

noumenal 03.08.2007 10:57 PM

It's all about Tokyo Eye.

val-holla-ing 03.09.2007 12:05 AM

probably my least favorite album of theirs. some good songs are on it, but on the whole, it's pretty weak.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.09.2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
ahem it is the best, says screaming skull!

naa, its not that bad really, sweet shine is the most beautiful song Kim has ever written i love it.
i prefer EJST&NS to dirty, a thousand leaves, nyc ghosts & flowers and sonic nurse

If you like Sweet Shine, then check out "The Dream's Dream" by Television.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.09.2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
I got the idea it would be very different. Not better

Different, for sure. That record might just be the greatest stylistic change in SY's history. Before Experimental, most of their music was based on thick, dense guitar. (I'm not aware of any difference between "thick" and "dense", but one adjective didn't seem like enough.) With Experimental, there was suddenly quite a bit of open space and quiet. At first, I found it a bit disappointing, but it grew on me. Can't say it's one of my favorites, but still very good.

krastian 03.09.2007 02:10 AM

Doctors Orders!!

Dead-Air 03.09.2007 02:56 AM

I like it, but I have always felt they were being too consciously "indie-rock" on it. They name-checked Guided By Voices constantly when they put it out, and that's sort of what it reminds me of too. Some of the songs, I really wish they had finished them, because they seem like great sketches waiting for the full Sonic Youth treatment.

Consequently, Washing Machine will always be one of my favorite albums, because I think it represents the point where they stopped trying to be "indie rock" like Jet Set or "grunge" like Dirty and just got down to being Sonic Youth in all their glory. "The Diamond Sea" and the title track being the ultimate examples.

Bal 03.09.2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
If you like Sweet Shine, then check out "The Dream's Dream" by Television.

yeah someone else posted (maybe it was even you) earlier that these songs are similiar in a way..
i dont think thats true but both songs are amazing.