Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   who would name their kid THAT? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12650)

floatingslowly 04.26.2007 01:46 PM

who would name their kid THAT?

while discussing a lady named Satana (come on, would you really ever be able to convince people that you weren't named after Satan?), we started talking about other people's names that are funny.

my previous favorite has always been this guy named Harry Phenis (wow...just wow), but Harry was recently dethroned.

I was told that another coworker (his last name is Tull) has an ex-wife named Jenna. fucking brilliant.

granted, she didn't get the name from her parents, but how can you live with a name like that and why do parents name their kids fucked up names to begin with? Mr. Phenis didn't marry into his name.

do you know any good ones? :D

jon boy 04.26.2007 01:58 PM

peter phile

luxinterior 04.26.2007 01:59 PM

I know a kid named Phil Collins.

Savage Clone 04.26.2007 02:42 PM

Satana is a kick ass name.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you....ARYAN JUSTICE!

jennthebenn 04.26.2007 03:06 PM

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals...babyID=h33-440

so classic.

Pookie 04.26.2007 03:33 PM

My wife-to-be's father was called John Thomas.

And her mother's maiden name was Terry Thomas.

!@#$%! 04.26.2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone

the poor fuckers say the name is french-- i think they meant to call her arianne! ayayayay. lesson: stay away from foreign names if you can't spell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

jesus... johnson! that's a crime! a crime! "uhrines"????????????? mother of.. is that made up? it HAS to be made up! otherwise that's the winner right there. you can't possibly top that.

racehorse 04.26.2007 04:31 PM

i know a woman named Mary Christmas.
i have fun writing her xmas cards.

jennthebenn 04.26.2007 04:35 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6525475.stm

idiots...metallica is clearly a males name.

saoq 04.26.2007 04:57 PM

wow i thought you meant "who would name their kid THAT"
as in Mr. That Brown or That Jameson
!$#$

jimbrim 04.26.2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoq
wow i thought you meant "who would name their kid THAT"
as in Mr. That Brown or That Jameson
!$#$

ha thats what i thought.

i know someone called Lewis Lewis.

Cardinal Rob 04.26.2007 06:28 PM

Apparently someone in my school is called 'Faye Leah Bland' (say it out loud). Poor lass.

Danny Himself 04.26.2007 06:31 PM

I know a guy called Barry White. And somebody called Tom Jones. There's also a James Bond and a John Connor attending my school.

jico. 04.26.2007 06:33 PM

!@#$%!.

Danny Himself 04.26.2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
!@#$%!.

Joaquim ain't no sparkler, either. :p

schizophrenicroom 04.26.2007 06:49 PM

danny- sean thinks it's hilarious that my mother's boyfriend tom has a cat named jones. tom jones!

i know a girl named tykwaneesha. i think i spelled that right. i'm going phonetically.

Danny Himself 04.26.2007 06:53 PM

Haha. Jones. I know a lot of Joneses. None are related.

val-holla-ing 04.26.2007 06:55 PM

there's a football player named lucious pussy. and my girlfriend knows a dude named steamboat rocks.

both are birth names.

Onani Nic 04.26.2007 06:56 PM

Their's a guy I know named Elvis Phan. I haven't asked him if his parents are really into Elvis yet.

!@#$%! 04.26.2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
!@#$%!.

ha ha ha, true.

afterthefact 04.26.2007 07:08 PM

A guy I work with got a phone call from a customer whose name was Pitman Knuckles. Born with it or not, I'd say probably the latter, it was indeed his legal name. Pitman Knuckles.

val-holla-ing 04.26.2007 07:24 PM

whoops. looks like lucious pussy was actually spelled 'lucious pusey', but it's pronounced the same.

!@#$%! 04.26.2007 07:25 PM

so far, jenn's post wins for most bizarre... by miles & miles

floatingslowly 04.26.2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone

I think we all know that that kid will be doing Kids Bop! covers of bands like Screwdriver and Prussian Blue. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

you're obviously a pro at this.

what in the fuck?? is that name even legal? seriously! is it possible to just string a bunch of shit together and have it legally be a name?

if so, I'm having my kid's name changed to Quantum Sonic Moonbase Chicxulub Fourty Two Tacos. SRSLY.

currently, his middle name is Valen. we were reading a baby name book and it said "tyrannical king of the monkeys". although I've never heard of a tyrannical king of the monkeys named Valen, I insisted we go with it.

Pookie 04.27.2007 02:24 AM

A friend really wanted me to name my son Harry, so he'd be called Harry Murphy, which he thought sounded like a Japanese person saying Happy Birthday.

Racist.

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2007 02:36 AM

my brother told me about an article he read in the paper about some people who named their child finchley (it's the name of an area in north london) and how parents from certain sections of society are being encouraged against naming their children after alcoholic drinks.

jico. 04.27.2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Joaquim ain't no sparkler, either. :p

haha, i always wondered what it sounds like to the non-latins. sounding bad doesnt surprises me.

in portuguese you say it not like in spanish (rwakin) it's more like.. "juakin". it's a very common name here and in spain, so it's not that weird.

i just hope that it doesnt sounds as gay as danny sounds around here hehe. i mean, if i was a drag queen, danny would be on my list. :p

MellySingsDoom 04.27.2007 05:51 AM

We had a girl at school of Russian extraction, whose first name was Vagina. Apparently one was meant to pronounce it "Vag-ner". Yeah, right...

jico. 04.27.2007 05:55 AM

haha.
i would marry a vagina.

sarramkrop 04.27.2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
my brother told me about an article he read in the paper about some people who named their child finchley (it's the name of an area in north london) and how parents from certain sections of society are being encouraged against naming their children after alcoholic drinks.

So the story that somebody told me about this hospital in South London that put up signs that warned parents about being careful when giving names to their babies under the influence of alcohol is true. Finchley was voted as one of the most popular names, according to some statistics that were on the Evening Standard.

Prisstina 04.27.2007 10:19 AM

my last name sucks enough already, but due to the inability of some people to correctly read, it frequently gets butchered even more.

"ei" = long i sound
"ei" does not = long e sound

floatingslowly 04.27.2007 10:29 AM

like....oh mah gawd.

Moon Unit Zappa imo.

ondskan 04.27.2007 11:35 AM

I had a neighbour once who's last name was Bröst (swedish for 'breast"). He had two daughters; Inga (common name, means 'nothing' or 'none') and Fina (less common name, means 'fine' or 'nice').

SYRFox 04.27.2007 12:09 PM

Cedric is a usual french name. Well, my uncle told me he had a friend called "Fedric", because his father was drunk when he had to "reckognize" his son officially, so when they asked his son's name he said "Feeedric".