Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First sonic song (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13823)

syntax-free 06.10.2007 04:07 PM

First sonic song

Okay so i would like to know what was the very first sonic youth song you heard and what did you first think of them as opposed to now? Has anything changed? For example, mine was dirty boots, or schizophrenia. I thought dirty boots was okay but i was like well, this band isn't that heavy or crazy, then i heard schizophrenia and i thought their music was so 'trance-like', like a drug or something. I definitely like them more now than i did, as i searched through their many different styles.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.10.2007 04:16 PM

TYPB for me, dirty boots I think.
I wasn't really impressed at first. It took a while to grow on me.

atsonicpark 06.10.2007 04:42 PM

she's in a bad mood.

pbradley 06.10.2007 04:55 PM

"Teenage Riot"

it blew my mind then, blows my mind now

pokkeherrie 06.10.2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntax-free
Okay so i would like to know what was the very first sonic youth song you heard and what did you first think of them as opposed to now? Has anything changed?

First song I heard was Sugar Kane when I saw the video on MTV in the early 90s.
First thought was that it was a great song and that the guy who was singing it was just so incredibly cool... I still think it's a great song nowadays, although I tend to prefer Lee over Thurston now.

Danny Himself 06.10.2007 05:19 PM

100%. The 'all you men are slime' line hooked me.

iskandertime 06.10.2007 05:30 PM

I saw a picture of the youth in Spin magazine back in 1986 or something, (don't laugh, although they always had lame rock stars on the cover, it had good colums and reveiws) they were looking through the broken windshield of a wrecked car. I picked up the giodano poetry systems LP "A Dimond Hidden In the Mouth of A Corpse" with "Halloween" on it...and just couldent stop listining to it. My girlfriend sent me a tape from Evergreen State collage of the first EP and Confusion Is Sex; y'know, I was in love, and I loved punk rock, noise and my girlfriend...Well that girl is all grown up, a lesbian (some of you would recognize her name) and I am married and happy. I still love punk rock and noise...and I am in love with Sonic Youth.

atsonicpark 06.10.2007 05:43 PM

fuck this thread, let's hear about lesbos!

Toxa 06.10.2007 05:47 PM

Bull in a heather & Sunday!

deadbird 06.10.2007 06:37 PM

Master-Dik

HECKLER SPRAY 06.10.2007 06:56 PM

Saucer like. I reaalllly felt in love with Lee's voice. And loved the guitar tune too.

max 06.10.2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
100%. The 'all you men are slime' line hooked me.

same here!

SynthethicalY 06.10.2007 09:44 PM

100% after hearing about them through a Nirvana article. I was amazed by the sounds of the guitars. And still think the same, they are amazing.

Bal 06.10.2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iskandertime
I saw a picture of the youth in Spin magazine back in 1986 or something, (don't laugh, although they always had lame rock stars on the cover, it had good colums and reveiws) they were looking through the broken windshield of a wrecked car. I picked up the giodano poetry systems LP "A Dimond Hidden In the Mouth of A Corpse" with "Halloween" on it...and just couldent stop listining to it. My girlfriend sent me a tape from Evergreen State collage of the first EP and Confusion Is Sex; y'know, I was in love, and I loved punk rock, noise and my girlfriend...Well that girl is all grown up, a lesbian (some of you would recognize her name) and I am married and happy. I still love punk rock and noise...and I am in love with Sonic Youth.

now that is a good story!

i got to know them tru 100 percent in the early ninetees.
i was into skateboarding back then and when i saw the video with jason lee and i think guy mariano in it i got hooked. i bought dirty and i loved every single song on it.

Pax Americana 06.11.2007 12:44 AM

Sugar Kane

finding nobody 06.11.2007 12:46 AM

Drunken Butterfly
I did not like it that much

Everyneurotic 06.11.2007 12:53 AM

kool thing, hated the damn song (now i like it a lot)
then teenage riot, thought it was better than ok but still a mediocre thing.
then schizophrenia, again ok but more interesting.
then sugar kane on later with jools holland and it blew my mind, they had in that song everything i wanted music to be.

SYRFox 06.11.2007 02:42 AM

Nevermind (What Was It Anyway)

Fell in love immediately

purplebumblebee 06.11.2007 11:44 AM

100%
Really liked the drumming at the end of the song. It was love at first hearing!

_DK 06.11.2007 11:45 AM

Silver rocket