Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   shitty crowd ruin a sy show in portugal once again (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15580)

jico. 08.16.2007 02:16 PM

shitty crowd ruin a sy show in portugal once again

the world looks red
incinerate
reena
hey joni
do you believe in rapture?
what a waste
jams run free
100%
bull in the heather
rats
turquoise boy
pink steam

encore

trilogy (the wonder/hyperstation/eliminator jr)

2nd encore

shaking hell

things looked like to be in a good way after the world looks red and incinerate, but along the show the crowd response to the band was embarassing.
even after several atempts from the band to make people act as a fucking crowd

here's a example, kim gordon is shouting "shake of your flesh!" and furociously shaking hers but most of the people were just there staring at the band, body still, mouth shut. these moments totally killed the show.

jico. 08.16.2007 02:19 PM

totally man!

jico. 08.16.2007 02:20 PM

kim gordon, really nice to see her dance, and probably causing some envy on the css girls. shameful to see her efforts to wake the crowd failing to achieve.

nicfit 08.16.2007 02:22 PM

I thought portuguese people would get crazy at a SY gig.

greenlight 08.16.2007 02:24 PM

hmm. people were either astouned or the reason you've mentioned

thanks for setlist.

sonicl 08.16.2007 02:30 PM

That's a real shame, but I hope you managed to enjoy it anyway.

jico. 08.16.2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I thought portuguese people would get crazy at a SY gig.

apart from the group that gets wild for anything and few others and it was mostly ecstatic.

jico. 08.16.2007 02:34 PM

we had some chorus moments...

jico. 08.16.2007 02:42 PM

people went more crazy about sunshine undergound and peter & whatever ballerine tricks and castrated guy vocals and i guess that is how it was supposed to be but why so cold sy? why? why?

css were the most cheered band of the day.

screamingskull 08.16.2007 02:44 PM

c s s suck a s s

jico. 08.16.2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
That's a real shame, but I hope you managed to enjoy it anyway.

i was happy after all. you know.. finnaly got my chance.
i bet if everyone felt the something like i did the show would've been different... but they dint, because most of them dont listen to sonic youth, or listen to few works like recent stuff (rr) and press classics like ddn.

Toxa 08.16.2007 03:06 PM

festivals sucks.

mAraujo 08.16.2007 04:30 PM

yeah, pretty shitty crowd... I was in the front, and most people didn't know one fucking song. not even 100% or bull in the heather. half were just moshing and crowdsurfing even when the band stopped playing, the others were just staring and some guys in front of me spent the whole fucking show asking for pics and setlists.

anyway, i still enjoyed the show, my first SY show. thurston and lee were amazing and kim danced like mad. and i got to hear world looks red, which was amazing.

Everyneurotic 08.16.2007 06:04 PM

people suck, sy rock live.

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 08.16.2007 06:07 PM

I don't think Sonic Youth let the crowd impact their performance all that much. At least not as much as some bands do.

the ikara cult 08.16.2007 07:28 PM

crowds are bogus.
I hope you got something out of the experience Dr J.
AND anyone else who was there - the SY fanship transmits good feelings even if the crowd is full of chumps.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 08.16.2007 07:50 PM

Im a tame watcher.
I came to watch not dance.
that's what cd's and loud stereos are for.

pbradley 08.16.2007 07:58 PM

What kind of venue was it? Open festival type? I can imagine Sonic Youth's energy being lost on an open festival type. SY need indoor venues to get that all encompassing thrashy sound to jar people into moving.

Green_mind 08.16.2007 09:31 PM

Yeah thats a real pity, real shame. I was at a gig last sunday and the small crowd there spewed negative vibes with their soberness, standing unnaturally still throughout this powerful music.

Dead-Air 08.16.2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
the world looks red
incinerate
reena
hey joni
do you believe in rapture?
what a waste
jams run free
100%
bull in the heather
rats
turquoise boy
pink steam

encore

trilogy (the wonder/hyperstation/eliminator jr)

2nd encore

shaking hell

Pretty hot setlist. I swear, it pays to see them a while after an albums been out, so they're sick of the new songs and playing lots of old ones as well. Ideally, I like a mix of both, and you got it here. Opening with "World Looks Red"?? That soo kicks ass. Fuck the crowd, I wouldn't even notice them.