Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth Turned Down Offers (?) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17193)

raging_nelly 10.20.2007 04:07 AM

Sonic Youth Turned Down Offers (?)

I wish I cuda thourht tof a better title for this thread...

I was just wondering the other day, what with Sonic Youth being so damn good, but still remaining to keep their independant credentials intact, they must of had loads of offers from corporate people trying to cash in on their greatness that they have turned down...

Anyone know of any??

Just thought this would make an interesting thread is all...

skipvacuum 10.20.2007 04:12 AM

i know they turned down tours with robert plant and also the go go's

Bal 10.20.2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipvacuum
i know they turned down tours with robert plant and also the go go's

are you sure about the robert plant part?

PAULYBEE2656 10.20.2007 12:41 PM

shame they wouldnt turn down the festival scene and play venues again! well over here anyway!

Magic Wheel Memory 10.22.2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar
I would consider Starbucks a corporate gig-they also opened for R.E.M. for a ton of money.
I don't think you can call a band independent based on their corporate status-you call a band independent based on whether the music they play record and put out is of their own design,if the sound is a detraction from what record companies are promoting at any given moment.

When people label a band as "independent," it could mean free from creative bonds, as you describe, or it could mean free from corporate support, or any number of things. But creative independence is what matters to me. I have no problem with a creative band like SY wanting to offer their music to as many people as possible. It's a wonderful thing, so why not share it?

atari 2600 10.22.2007 05:46 PM

Other artists recently releasing through Starbucks include Paul McCartney and Joni Mitchell. Beck too, but that wasn't an exclusive deal. It seems Sonic Youth may be testing those same waters with Hits Are For Squares before they jump in the pool as well.

And there's gonna be a major motion picture releasing soon about Tom Hanks as a character who "finds himself" working at a Starbucks, How Starbucks Saved My Life.

Madonna just turned away all corporate label offers for a $120 million contract with Live Nation, an upstart company who have never even sold a single album yet.

Magic Wheel Memory 10.22.2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar
Starbucks,record companies they are all the same-reaching more people means more money-

Yes, of course. So what?

skipvacuum 10.23.2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal

are you sure about the robert plant part?

fairly sure..thurston says so on a video i have called "sheet metal video magazine"...i may have to upload it somewhere cuz it's a funny video,came out right after they signed to geffen

Alan ciccone 11.04.2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging_nelly
I wish I cuda thourht tof a better title for this thread...

I was just wondering the other day, what with Sonic Youth being so damn good, but still remaining to keep their independant credentials intact, they must of had loads of offers from corporate people trying to cash in on their greatness that they have turned down...

Anyone know of any??

I think they were approached by warner brothers after bad moon rising who hadn't even heard them just the buzz surrounding them. I don't think they ever intentionally avoided any great offers. I mean they signed to a major label and had a song on "my so called life" back in the day

lol just remembered they were on the end of days soundtrack too.