Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth mentioned in the movie "Juno" (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18741)

hooligan37 01.07.2008 11:46 AM

Sonic Youth mentioned in the movie "Juno"

I wasn't aware of this when I went to see this movie. They shot a scene in Batemans music room and i saw a couple Sonic posters. They talk about "The Melvins" and and about Sonic Youth. But then later Juno say " I bought another Sonic Youth CD and it's just noise"! Not sure if this is good publicity or bad. Your thoughts anyone?

Georgekrz 01.07.2008 12:58 PM

That's a funny line. It must have been SY-6? I heard this movie is terrible though.

hooligan37 01.07.2008 01:01 PM

It was ok. The young girl is a good actor.

hiland 01.07.2008 01:09 PM

this movie is terrible. don't belive the hype. A 16 year old Janeane Garofalo gets pregnant. The end.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.07.2008 01:10 PM

hahaha

Everyneurotic 01.07.2008 01:24 PM

janeane garofalo rules!!!

Rob Instigator 01.07.2008 01:51 PM

yes!

I would run over a couple of britneys and a few Mariah's and stomp on the face of an Aguilera and a Jessica Simpson to have the honor of letting Jeanene Garafolo (sp?) pinch my ballsac!

Everyneurotic 01.07.2008 02:05 PM

ballsac pincher, hahahaha.

raging_nelly 01.07.2008 03:56 PM

If Ellen Page's last movie 'Hard Candy' was anything to go by then this will be shit

avantgarde1 01.07.2008 04:56 PM

lol, i saw it last night knowing about that line already. me and my friends were the only ones laughing our asses off when she spouted out that line. it was fucking hilarious. movie was pretty good too.

syntax-free 01.07.2008 07:49 PM

i was actually wondering which cd she bought... haha

✌➬ 01.07.2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntax-free
i was actually wondering which cd she bought... haha

Rather Ripped.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.07.2008 07:53 PM

Ill see it in a few months on video

k-krack 01.07.2008 10:23 PM

Just (finally) sawe this movie! I've been waiting friggin' months for it, and it's ever awesomer than I expected. I knew about this line already, but it was still pee-my-pants hilarious.
The whole movie ruled.

Most awkward scene in a movie, ever: When Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) is talking to the baby in the womb... fuck... I felt really weird after that.

atsonicpark 03.30.2008 07:45 PM

I just saw this at the $2 theatre.

The Sonic Youth references were a bit awkward, especially when listening to "Superstar" for 3 seconds and Juno going, "Yeah, this is greeeeeeeeat." Nothing had even happened yet!

The Melvins reference was odd. "We played with 'em in 93." Hopefully, they weren't just playing Prick in its entirety before recording it. The "it was just noise!" part referring to sonic Youth was GREAT, though... I bet she bought Silver Sessions. Which is like my favorite album, but there aren't any songs on it of course.

I was more pleasantly surprised to see H.G. Lewis and Dario Argento (!) being referenced and Wizard of Gore being watched. Also found it weird that he had the Wizard of Gore special edition box set DVD version (which I have) but it was cut into a VHS tape ... there was no VHS tape copy that looked like the copy he had in the history of Wizard of Gore's many VHS releases. In fact, if you look closely, you can see the "Special Features" listing on the back of the cut-up DVD/VHS thing that he had, special features that were obviously meant for the DVD (director's commentary, for example). Odd... I guess they were just trying to say, "Hey, this guy still watches VHS's!" and they were too lazy to order an actual old copy of the movie for this movie?...

pbradley 03.30.2008 07:56 PM

I bet I would have have felt awkward during those parts, if I say the movie.

mil_pl 04.06.2008 04:58 AM

i've just watched the movie, and it is awesome, especially for the dialogue's, they are smart and funny. and when juno is angry on this man (i cant remember his name right now) she says 'I bought another Sonic Youth album|and it sucks! It’s just noise!'

barnaclelapse 04.06.2008 10:16 PM

Yeah, I liked the movie as well.

I dunno. It was just nice to see something that actually succeeded in its ambition.

EVOLghost 04.07.2008 04:26 PM

I saw it in theatres....I was actually kind of singing along to Superstar. I was amazed they were used in that movie. Haha....but chea...I enjoyed the movie.