Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So I just got into SY (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18927)

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 09:42 PM

So I just got into SY

And yes I am very late about that. I got into the early nineties music and riot grrl and grunge and hole when I was 12 but Sonic Youth didn't click right away. I thought they were like those other bands but was I off. Four years later, I bought Trees Outside the Academy, fell in love with it, and that ushered me into the album "Washing Machine" and I totally understand the appeal. And I totally dig it! I haven't stopped listening to Tunic and Cinderella's Big Score for a WEEK.

And now I have found this lovely board :D

So yeah for Sonic Youth!

✌➬ 01.14.2008 09:48 PM

welcome, the first time you listen to them it is orgasmic.

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 09:50 PM

Oh it is. I've been listening and listening and listening, Mildred Pierce will NOT walk out of my head, and all through school I'm thinking "Screw Algebra I want Sonic Youth more more more".

It's pretty fascinating I must say.

touch me i'm sick 01.14.2008 10:31 PM

i really admire you for getting into them so quickly and passionately. all my friends that i introduce them to either hate it, or say like yeah okay, but i know they don't really get it.

flophousefloozie 01.14.2008 10:48 PM

Yeah, alot of people look them up because "kurt said so", but realize it's not Nirvana, and suddenly it's, "what the fuck is this"...

Ripchord 01.14.2008 10:53 PM

I don't know why people on this board are always going on about this "Sonic Youth" business. I don't listen to anything that doesn't sound EXACTLY like Nirvana, I don't know about you freaks...

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 10:53 PM

I don't like Nirvana :( Never really have too much. I was always into Hole, still am.

Sonic Youth beat all of that, though.

Ripchord 01.14.2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white chalk hill
I was always into Hole, still am.

Word.

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripchord
Word.

Ha, yeah. To me, Nirvana's songs sound the same but I get ripped apart usually when I say that. I started rocking and rolling to Live Through This way before I ever even listened to Nevermind fully. I am a huge Hole fan though I used to be really obnoxious about it and a total Courtney tard. But now I realize Courtney is crazy but hey it's all about the music right?

But yeah, on track - Sonic Youth = greatest thing ever? Gonna have to say YES *thumbs up*

Ripchord 01.14.2008 11:03 PM

To be totally honest, I haven't had a good SY listening session in months. I need to stop listening to showtunes.

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 11:10 PM

It's one of the best feelings in the world when first getting into a new band. My friend has just gotten interested in Radiohead and I'm literally jealous of him, because it's like your standing under a waterfall of amazing albums and songs. I already got all the Radiohead stuff and listened to it a bunch.

Especially when the band has released a ton of albums, its just non-stop new music to listen to. It's awesome!

gmku 01.14.2008 11:10 PM

I don't know. After you've heard the raw power of the Stooges, everything else just sounds, so, oh, I don't know... precious.

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I don't know. After you've heard the raw power of the Stooges, everything else just sounds, so, oh, I don't know... precious.

JUNO!!!!!!!

(My uncle met Iggy Pop the other day!)

gmku 01.14.2008 11:19 PM

Get out of town, no way. Is your uncle Tom Waits or somebody?

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 11:21 PM

No he works for Truly Nolan he tented Iggy Pop's house!

Iggy loves Miami apparently and he has THREE houses here! (Yeah I've stalked him shhh...like I literally have) and my uncle tented a house for him and Iggy met him out front and gave him autographs and what not (because my aunt is a huge fan as well) and a "surprise" which I don't know what it is yet.

!!!

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 11:22 PM

I love your signature btw. High Fidelity is my number two favorite movie. Tied with Almost Famous.

gmku 01.14.2008 11:25 PM

Ask your uncle to ask Iggy when he's going to apologize for making that sucky comeback Stooges album last year.

white chalk hill 01.14.2008 11:25 PM

I didn't even listen to it. I don't much like all that "reunion" stuff.

gmku 01.14.2008 11:44 PM

That's smart. They usually don't work.

barnaclelapse 01.14.2008 11:54 PM

I envy anyone getting into SY for the first time.

It's always a really great, fun as hell experience.