Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   F#F#F#F#EB? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5502)

king_buzzo 08.29.2006 09:23 AM

F#F#F#F#EB?

are 4 f# the same or the e and the a string are an octave below?

atari 2600 08.29.2006 09:53 AM

You'll know when the guitar starts to sonically purr.

king_buzzo 08.29.2006 09:58 AM

yeah allright, i have some trouble with kool thing and 100% so i just wanted to ask

atari 2600 08.29.2006 10:01 AM

Kool Thing was the first one I ever figured out (by ear) because I read about the tuning in Guitar Player when Thurston was named guitarist of the year. Chout posted scans of the issue.

Danny Himself 08.29.2006 10:33 AM

They're an octave below.

Alex's Trip 08.29.2006 10:37 AM

The E and A are the same, no? And the D and G are the same also.

That is how I tuned it anyway. I think. In fact, nevermind, I don't really remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Site
How to tune: Eu2 Ad3 Du4 Gd1 Bd7 Ed5

king_buzzo 08.29.2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Sonic Youth?
F# F# F# F# E B (low to high?)
I'm guessing the first two F#s are the same, and the next two are an octave higher, that makes most sense. I'm also guessing the B string is tuned down to E, and that the e is tuned down to B too.
1. Play the A string open and the E string at the 3rd fret. Tune the E string up to match the A string.
2. Play the E string open and the A string open. Tune the A string down to match the E string.
3. Play the A string at the 12th fret and the D string open. Tune the D string up to match the A string.
4. Play the G string open and the D string open. Tune the G string down to match the D string.
5. Play the B string at the 12th fret and the e string open. Tune the B string down to match the e string.
6. Play the e string open and the B string at the 7th fret. Tune the e string down to match the B string.

After doing that, I'm really not sure if that's meant to be low to high or high to low.
If it sounds wrong let me know.
With a tuner:
Play the E string at the 1st fret, tune it to G
Play the A string at the 1st fret, tune it to G
Play the D string at the 1st fret, tune it to G
Play the G string at the 1st fret, tune it to G
Play the B string open, tune it to E
Play the e string open, tune it to B

EDIT: I just googled, definitely low to high, but not sure about the B and E strings going up or down

thats from the UG tuning thread

Alex's Trip 08.29.2006 11:29 AM

Use the mustang site.

scott v 08.29.2006 01:19 PM

F# F# F# F# E B (low to high?)
I'm guessing the first two F#s are the same, and the next two are an octave higher, that makes most sense. I'm also guessing the B string is tuned down to E, and that the e is tuned down to B too.

that is all correct, also its best to not use a standard set of string gages, but mix them up and use the same gage for the strings in unison to get the best sound!
thurston uses from low to high: .042, .042, .024, .024, .018, .014

so buy strings in bulk!

also its quite convenient that this gage arrangement is workable for the F#F#GGA#A# tuning...

atari 2600 08.29.2006 01:26 PM

If the string breaks, you've tuned too high hehe.

Which is what happened to me when I first tried it all those years ago.

It's been a long time.