Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sister ... Deluxe Edition ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79896)

musicplatypus 07.17.2012 06:36 PM

Sister ... Deluxe Edition ?

A Sister Deluxe Edition . . . ?

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/2...onic-Youth.htm

One of my favorite albums by them. Looking forward to this.

musicplatypus 07.17.2012 06:38 PM

ahh ... this was mentioned in the BBC radio post ...

chrome noise tape 07.18.2012 04:29 PM

"Ranaldo said that he was working on digitizing the band's archives for the past thirty years..."

next times of the band maybe will be this, a lot of editions...they're welcome.

Lazewski 07.18.2012 08:16 PM

Deluxe of Sister? What material would be on this I ask you. Hmm.

Mortte Jousimo 07.18.2012 10:53 PM

Well, if I have read correct earlier posts, there will be demo-versions from Sister. And probably that drums-played version from Master-dik whatīs included in Sister cd-version, but not in vinyl.

scott v 07.19.2012 01:23 PM

I wonder how the original album will get remastered when the original master tapes were used to record EJST&NS... normally on deluxe editions they also remaster the original.

hirsute_biped 07.19.2012 02:23 PM

The Sister Deluxe bonus material will be mastered from pirated cassette copies of EJST&NS from Thailand.

Chris Lawrence 07.19.2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
I wonder how the original album will get remastered when the original master tapes were used to record EJST&NS... normally on deluxe editions they also remaster the original.

Not sure if you're joking, but I believe Steve finally debunked this myth a few years back (on this forum). Still being coy about it for reasons I don't quite understand, but suggested they deliberately added "Sister" at a low volume underneath the final album master of "Jet Set"...

As for what a Sister deluxe might include, they released a "Catholic Block" demo for early purchasers of "The Eternal", so hopefully there's more where that came from. They already blew Master=Dik as a separate CD release a couple years ago, but the non-beatbox bonus track would make sense.

"Sister Interview Disc" would be awesome.

The award-winning "Hat Trick" 7" version of "White Kross", perhaps.

"Town and Country" show has seen several audio and video tracks released over the years. Schizo/Dog on Screaming Fields, Cotton/PCH on that semi-official bootleg 7", Catholic Block on a compilation, Stereo Sanctity on a mix tape. Sounds like a video of that may be considered for something.

The entire Geneva 06/18/87 radio session used on Master=Dik EP would be wonderful. "Kotton Krown" appeared on a mix tape.

A random live version of "Stereo Sanctity" from 06/14/87 was also on a mix tape.

"I Am Right" (including Goofy Mix).

RanaldoNecro 07.19.2012 07:33 PM

remastered when the original master tapes were used to record EJST&NS

That one never seems to die...

noisereductions 07.19.2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

As for what a Sister deluxe might include, they released a "Catholic Block" demo for early purchasers of "The Eternal", so hopefully there's more where that came from. They already blew Master=Dik as a separate CD release a couple years ago, but the non-beatbox bonus track would make sense.

"Sister Interview Disc" would be awesome.

The award-winning "Hat Trick" 7" version of "White Kross", perhaps.

"Town and Country" show has seen several audio and video tracks released over the years. Schizo/Dog on Screaming Fields, Cotton/PCH on that semi-official bootleg 7", Catholic Block on a compilation, Stereo Sanctity on a mix tape. Sounds like a video of that may be considered for something.

The entire Geneva 06/18/87 radio session used on Master=Dik EP would be wonderful. "Kotton Krown" appeared on a mix tape.

A random live version of "Stereo Sanctity" from 06/14/87 was also on a mix tape.

"I Am Right" (including Goofy Mix).

yeah I've thought about this in the past, and I feel like I like a lot of the Sister errata even more than the album itself. Looking forward.

Chris Lawrence 07.20.2012 12:50 AM

I'd campaign for more unreleased stuff - the demos, that Geneva radio session in its entirety, etc since so much live stuff is already available from that era ("Hold That Tiger" and all the unofficial recordings). I'm not sure how much studio material exists (Master-Dik & I Am Right are all that come to mind, but I'm not even sure when I Am Right was actually recorded - it didn't make the Daydream deluxe, soo...). A supplemental live video of the Town and Country set would reduce the need for additional live material on the deluxe CD.

If the album got a single disc deluxe treatment a la first EP, 40 minutes of demos, Geneva radio, and Sister Interview Disc would be pretty solid! Of course, the Geneva radio session might actually "suck" from a critical point of view... Add a DVD of the T&C show (or somehow acquire the rights to that brilliant Pinkpop vid).

Hey, look at me all excited about something...

Lazewski 07.20.2012 01:06 AM

I really want to hear the Experimental Jet-Set demos (if any) - just throwing that out there. Demos of Sister would be nice to hear, along with the Master-Dik EP + the Sister Interview.

Mortte Jousimo 07.20.2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Not sure if you're joking, but I believe Steve finally debunked this myth a few years back (on this forum). Still being coy about it for reasons I don't quite understand, but suggested they deliberately added "Sister" at a low volume underneath the final album master of "Jet Set"....

I tried to listen my vinyl version very high volume, but I canīt hear any of Sister...instead I became more deaf because there started many loud songs straight into my ears :)

I wish they will make for example SYR10 release from the demonlover-material, I think they havenīt released all of it. And Kali Yug Express is so rare! (never even seen it)

scott v 07.20.2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Not sure if you're joking, but I believe Steve finally debunked this myth a few years back (on this forum). Still being coy about it for reasons I don't quite understand, but suggested they deliberately added "Sister" at a low volume underneath the final album master of "Jet Set"...

I didn't know that this was debunked, there have been periods of time throughout the years that i have not kept up on this forum or this site in general...

I wish they had recorded the guitars differently, it sounds like they played through shitty-puny 10W sold-state amps, i know thats part of the charm of the album but i alwaysthought the live versions of the songs blow away the recorded versions.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.20.2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
"Ranaldo said that he was working on digitizing the band's archives for the past thirty years..."

Jesus, he must be exhausted. That's a long time to work on a project.

holy ghost 07.23.2012 07:22 AM

I hope Washing Machine is on the horizon too.... that would be hella sweet.....

another 07.28.2012 10:59 AM

They should release the entire sessions, like the Funhouse boxset; then we could hear all 7 takes of Stereo Sanctity.

Lazewski 07.28.2012 11:21 AM

Lee tell us what you know! D:

Ghostchase 07.28.2012 12:10 PM

ha. I always thought there was already a Deluxe Edition of Sister just like Daydream.

RanaldoNecro 07.28.2012 08:15 PM

No Ghostchace. Only in dreams...