Thread: SY = VU
View Single Post
Old 06.29.2010, 11:54 AM   #43
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Sucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
nah.. VU has a wider audience and bigger influence over other artists.. if anything SY is more like the Dead.. they stuck it out for decades, they evolved and progressed as musicians with each album and year, they had an ecclectic following and partial mainstream success, they became a household name but yet practically nobody has actually heard them, just heard of..

SY=Grateful Dead

VU= more popular than SY

I'm not really talking about longevity, I'm just talking about the music. Both bands took rock music and did completely radical things with it. I don't think SY would have existed if there wasn't a VU to lead the way, I don't think punk rock as we know it would exist either.

You can say the same thing about VU. You mention it to people and they have heard the name of the band, but most can't reference any albums or songs. Exactly the same with SY.

SY has definitely given off a jam band vibe since the Murray Street era, but I attribute that more to Jim's influence than their desire to be considered the next Grateful Dead. Also, style wise, Grateful Dead have almost nothing in common with SY. I've yet to hear a folky SY song, or banjos.
Sucklechimp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|