View Single Post
Old 07.07.2010, 03:45 PM   #103
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's not really a question of you overstepping your boundaries - you have a valid point in that there's an increased resistance to certain high-profile Islamic activities.

I don't know the States, at all, but I'd imagine that's like comparing Alaska to Alabama. If it's not, then I apologise - just as you seem to assume Europe is a single, homogeneous territorial culture, I assume that USA is a massive and diffuse set of cultures, bound not even by geographical demarcation (the struggles of a NY Jew are doubtless completely different to a NY Shinto).

I agree with you completely, the issues in Europe are very much complex and diverse. I know very well that Europe is not a homogenous place, just as the US is not, BUT, just like racism against blacks seems to be a relatively universal problem across the diversity of US life, so to does it seem to me (from the past few years of news reports, forgive me for relying on the news, I don't live in Europe and aside from Glice, no body from Europe here ever bothers to contribute some intelligent reasoning on the subject, rather than emotional mud slinging) that across the diversity of Europe a common theme has been a resistance to mosque building and other vestiges of Islam.
I do not want to see an Islamitization of Europe, but I am just calling it as I see it, if the many different Europeans want to cool the fires with their muslim populations, perhaps they should mellow out just a bit, that is all I have been trying to say..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Oh, and one more thing - Muslims might not have it great, but they've also got used to a lot of British culture. I would be astonished if the rejection of a planning proposal were takenas 'Islamophobia' given that it's a bastard to build anything in the UK. Locally, some Muslims took over a derelict church recently, and the area's seen quite an improvement in prosperity (with related shops springing up to service the community) as result.

big up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy

why dont you go to the holocaust museum in LA? then comment if its 'disneyesque'.

been there, its actually quite biased and even borderline racist much like its sister institution the so-called museum of tolerance..

jon boy, I think I figured it out, you seem to always equate my statements about Europe or Europeans as meaning "you" when it does not necessarily. If you say "Americans" or "America" i do not automatically assume you are referring to me, because much like Europe, America is a diverse place, and there are a lot of different opinions, beliefs and reactions. I can accept a criticism of America or Americans without it having to be personalized, but maybe that is because I only see myself as a quasi-american. but I have good reason to, I am no longer a full US citizen and my entitlement to several Federal benefits such as student aid, food stamps, federal employment other such things have been permanently revoked unless I decide to have a formal hearing with the Department of Selective Services in regards to my decade long anti-war stance...

You did understand that when I said "Europe" I didn't directly imply Jon-Boy right? and there are in fact many Europeans who are in fact intolerant against muslims, regardless if you are or not..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|