Thread: Frank Zappa
View Single Post
Old 07.07.2006, 10:55 AM   #37
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
So see....with your apparently broader exposure to Zappa....you've found some great stuff....that's all I'm saying. I don't like alot of the late 70s-early 80s stuff....So I'm not a completist that likes everything he does...but all the stuff up through '77 ish I love, 'cepting some of the more absurd stuff. I DON'T like Valley Girl...or after he put down his guitar for a majority of his shows and became a 'song and dance' man.....The last time I saw Frank, he was becoming more of a showman, walking around the stage, with his microphone. The first two times, he rarely put his guitar down. That's where his biggest talent, other than compostion, lies to me. I could definately do without some of his inane lyrics. But the, at the time, contemporary comment he'd make on society....'We're only in it for the money, Absolutely Free etc.....was spot on and funny. Even his dissing of hippie culture. He was serious, but I took it as tongue and cheeky....
I'm certainly no Zappa expert,no,but my older brother has been a fan for years and even though he exposed me to loads of music that i grew to love,Zappa didn't fall into that category.I don't get him,sorry,and i don't think he could be called someone who had a crumb of style by any stretch of the imagination.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|