Thread: Is the word...
View Single Post
Old 07.07.2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's offensive when used as a blanket term for anyone from India major, especially given that a lot of Indians get called it (bearing in mind the long-standing tension between India and Pakistan). I wouldn't ever use it unless I knew a person very well. See also the following words:fag, nigger, Conservative, u2 fan. The last is the absolute lowest insult I can imagine.

Sensible words, I think.

Two points, if I may; the first is that in 95% of cases where it's used, it's intended in at best a derogatory manner and at worst a straight-out racist manner. So it has become racist.

The second is that the name 'Pakistan' roughly means 'Perfect Land', so the word 'paki' roughly means 'perfect' ('Pak' means 'pure'). The people using the word in a derogatory manner don't realise this, but it's funny to watch them when you point it out.

It's not a word I would use, certainly. As it happens, in fact, the few Pakistanis I know are very fine people indeed.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|