View Single Post
Old 10.18.2011, 11:54 AM   #29
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianspheric
jesus tapdancing christ

get over yourself

it is a legitimate suggestion for fans of the band to consider the possibility of SY continuing without Kim.

yes it's unlikely to happen, yes we hope the band will continue but to get so uppity about anyone questioning if arguably the least musically talented member of the band is replaceable.

grow up.

While I agree it's expected for fans to consider the possibility of SY continuing without Kim (an awful idea if you ask me), I don't get all of this "the rest of the band is more musically talented" jazz. Since when is Kim's voice not an instrument? How many people can offer up the same UNIQUE vocal delivery as Kim? And her bass playing is by no means bad. She understands how to keep it simple and steady (all the while knowing when to be chaotic), which is something far more complex bassists may have a hard time getting into. She's an ORIGINAL member of the freaking band. It's just as much hers as any of the boys and what she adds is equally important. The silliness of the Ramones without Dee Dee springs to mind...just didn't feel legit. I think this works the same way. Sonic youth without Kim is Sonic suicide, and for me this isn't a matter of opinion. I KNOW it would piss many people off. Sure they could do it, and I'd support their decision to do so (even though I know they wouldn't), but not in the way of following whatever they'd go on to do. Sure, I expect people to go down this rt. of conversation and obviously I'm participating...but still I think it's too early to even be thinking about this sort of shit. But then again, I can appreciate the fact that it's at least fans discussing the future of the band as opposed to whining (groar) over the status of a relationship no one here knows the details of.

Really don't like the idea of the end of Sonic Youth being the separation of Kim + T Bird. What an awful end to such a beautiful legacy, but who says this is it? And if so, so be it. Shit happens. Sonic Youth without Kim would be some serious shit in the most terrible of ways.