View Single Post
Old 06.01.2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
What about Sammy hagar? They could be Sonic Hagar.

My God, I really hope they don't go down that road again. As some of you may recall, this almost happened during the Murray Street sessions. Apparently, Thurston was very upset that on Sympathy for the Strawberry, Lee chose to highlight his keyboard playing, rather than his awesome guitar chops. Lee's response was "If I wanna play keyboards or if I wanna play tuba, I'll play it," which promptly caused Thurston to walk out.

Thurston then recorded an EP of four cover songs, which he dedicated to Alan Ginsburg, called Crazy from the Beat. He even began shooting a video for the first single, (We're Gonna Kill the) California Girls.

In the meantime, Sammy Hagar auditioned for Thurston's part in Sonic Youth, a role that he very much coveted. While his vocals were seen as a much needed boost, he struggled with the alternate guitar tunings. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Back in Malibu, Thurston's video shoot hit a road block when the director was unable to find any bikini models tall enough to pose with Thurston. Frustrated, Thurston returned to Sonic Youth, he and Lee mended fences, Murray Street was completed, and the rest is history. Thankfully, Thurston's EP and video were never released.*

*None of the above facts are "true."