View Single Post
Old 12.16.2014, 11:58 AM   #19
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
"When I was really young, and started playing the guitar, the first record I really got into was Sonic Youth's Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star, which my dad gave me when I was about 12. It was a big influence — showing that the guitar could be something more, that you could get all sorts of sounds out of it. That's the side of the guitar I really like."

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly my relationship to the record as well. A young 15-16 year old punk kid just learning to play guitar, and this record absolutely shifted everything about the way I viewed music and shaped my future development.

Like many my age at the time, I basically got into them because of Nirvana. I saw the video for "Bull," and had just read Nirvana's bio. Hearing Cobain mention them several times, and seeing Steve drumming with that maraca, I decided to pick up the album. I could not believe some of the things I heard. "What is all this feedback and amp noise doing on a record? Oh wait...crap...they are using it rhythmically as a song element?" Mind...blown... "Songs are supposed to have 'notes' and structure, right? What is this 'Androgynous Mind' doing then, and why do I love it so much?!?! Was that a random pick scratch?" Hearing the intro to "Starfield Road" for the first time as a young teen, and the feelings of sheer excitement and wonder it gave me, that is something I will remember until the day I die.

I totally understand where a lot of people are coming from with the hatred though. Being a bit older and already a fan, I could see where this album was possibly a bit of a let-down. Or even just discovering it later and comparing it to their full catalog. I just felt a need to respond and give it some love though, because it certainly holds a very special place in my heart.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|