View Single Post
Old 04.20.2015, 07:07 PM   #3892
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
My local library has a very respectable used book sale every single month, and I've been able to amass most of Updike's stuff for very little money. In fact, I have duplicates of quite a few of his novels and three versions of Couples for no reason at all. But I splurged on the Everyman's Library version of the Complete Henry Bech. A really nice printing of some of his best stuff. Getting away from his WASPY-y background really fired his engines.

---

Did you already know Updike's first wife was Nabokov's student at Cornell?

---

Rabbit Angstrom really is a piece of shit and I've always wondered why those books were so popular.

LOL, at your last! My sisters are quick to point that out to me."We have issues with his treatment of women," they tell me. I try to explain to them that really nice people don't make interesting characters in novels. Their eyes glaze over. But isn't it because we Americans--at least, the smart, self-aware ones--see at least a little of ourselves in him? (I also try to explain to my sisters that a character is not the author. Rabbit is not Updike. Again, the eyes glaze over.)

No, did not know that about his first wife. A kind of Nabokovian coincidence, no!?

I would love to have just a cheap copy of the first Bech paperback, where the cover art shows the breasts in Beck's hair, I believe? I would love a copy of that. On the prowl!