View Single Post
Old 11.15.2016, 11:35 AM   #1784
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^^ johnson lives in taos so i think he travels to colorado waaaaay too often if you know what i mean lol (taos is right next to it).

as for higher education, cost controls are out of hand in the USA. i went to a very fine latin american university that had only a cafeteria and a cement soccer pitch... no dorms (most of us lived at home, others rented rooms), no stadiums, no gym, no student union, no movie theatre, no extensive parking facilities, no private bus system, no campus police, no dean of student affairs, no athletics department.... yet the education was top-notch, and there was great research being done on campus--and the people doing the research taught us.

the problem with college in america today, and i say this as someone who taught college extensively through 4 years of grad school (2 courser per semester plus summers, levels between 100-300), is that college is not "higher education" but a massive daycare system for overgrown children.

and people in their dumb disney ways are still nostalgically attached to giving their children "the college experience" at the tune of 1/2 million bucks per fucking brat, so that they can go get high for 5 years.

what in the living fuck, people.

we could very well have a string of barebones colleges to provide all of the education with none of the fucking pampering and time-wasting that these educational resorts provide.

part of the problem, though, see, is federal funding of debt. some spoiled horny 18 year old wants nothing to do with work or career or money-- they wanna fuck, drink, get high, fuck some more, get high again, expand their minds, sing about revolution, and do it all for free-- except it's not free, someone else is paying for it-- their parents, their future selves, the taxpayer, whoever.

and because the federal government guarantees your debt until the end of time... guess what... you can get 4 or 5 years of federally funded permanent vacation, worry about paying it back later.

and here's the kicker though... because the spice flows unrestricted, colleges have to COMPETE for that resort money. offering better dining, more luxurious facilities, greater football teams, RAs and counselors and student activities, all the while classes are being taught by GAs and adjuncts. but the debt piles on.

FUCKED UP. FUCKED UP. FUCKED UP.

I did some summer work at a college when I was in grad school. A state college with state of the art dorms, on-site everything, and transportation. Such a shiny school it was, but it was a non-research institution with hundreds of thousands thrown into its tiny little football program.

It's true. Many colleges are sleepaway camps.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|