View Single Post
Old 10.15.2018, 10:47 AM   #4743
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I believe everyone has the right to speak. The problem with Identity Politics (capital A capital P) is that it prioritises certain groups over others and prohibits the critique of certain positions through de-platforming, the introduction of 'safe-spaces', etc.

ive never run into a campus safe space, but the idea of it reminds me of what used to be the gay bar, where gay people could go and be who they wanted to be without fear of violence of persecution. these days i suppose in big cities nobody gives a shit, but there is a terribly made documentary called “small town, gay bar” which illustrates the ongoing plight of gay people in the unsafe space that is the american south. just because it is terribly made and it’s overly repetitive and too long it does not mean the subject is bad. it’s a great subject actually which is why i watched it completely and know it’s overly repetitive and too long. it’s because the subject matter is great.

anyway, we all want society to be a safe space and thatks why we have rules of conduct and laws and police etc.

but again the problem is a little bit like what i mentioned above. if yuo’re a black person in america, a routine interaction with the police is not safe...

see, even an encounter with a fellow student in a university campus can be threatening... if yuo’re black andfall asleep i your own dorm, a white student will call the cops on you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...called-police/

read the whole list of “while black” situations listed there. a child selling lemonade in front of her own house was the latest i recall.

but see, if you take a knee during the national anthem to protest unjustified killings of black people by police... the wingnuts start crying “identity politics!”

i know that you’re addressing a very narrow definition of the term, but that academic definition is not what we’re experiencing here on an everyday basis.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|