View Single Post
Old 03.06.2019, 09:08 AM   #23674
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

Didn't see the last seven minutes due to the restraints of class time (related, fuck Mr. Greenwood). Certainly good and interesting.

This is a TV-related thing, but...
I think it’s actually really helpful to watch the entirety of ATLANTA after watching Get Out. Especially for whitey-whitey-bo-biteys like myself (and probably you).
From what I can tell — and I think Jordan Peele has even said this — Get Out was inspired by an episode of ATLANTA called “Juneteenth,” which, I believe, manages to do an even better job of highlighting the troubling relationship between the self-congratulatorily “woke” and people who actually live and deal with racism. “Juneteenth” is like Get Out boiled down to 25 minutes with no sci-fi horror stuff.
I was really hit by it, and it made Get Out seem like a better film in retrospect.
Not to paint with broad strokes, but some folks can get creepily up-their-own-asses about how “empathetic” they are to racism, slavery, etc., even if they cannot possibly understand those things well enough to claim true empathy.
I’m sure I’ve acted this way without meaning to and that’s exactly why it’s important to see things like Get Out and ATLANTA.

Also, ATLANTA is odd and surreal as hell when it’s not being terrifyingly accurate and realistic. There’s only two season, and the episodes are short. Make a weekend out of it.

Quote:
Allison Williams is kinda cute, and I noticed a few scenes where she had a fairly masculine-looking face (prominent jaw). Gives me a little hope

Heh?
Is that the extra-horrible one from GIRLS? Yeah, she’s pretty or whatever, but unfortunately she played Marnie so convincingly that I just see that nutter when I see her elsewhere. And I care more about sociopathy and malignant narcissism than I do about chin shapes or whatever.

Anyway, check out ATLANTA if you haven’t.
Everyone.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|