View Single Post
Old 08.10.2023, 11:11 AM   #25543
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon

[... ]

However, I feel like Nolan's tendency to accentuate the spectacular over the more subtle notions once again was a bit of a detriment.

[... ]

But the way the story was told seemed a tad disjointed.

funny you should say that, i felt the similarly about dunkirk. have not seen oppenheimer yet.

but in dunkirk i was immediately impressed by the pure spectacle of the thing.... visual, audio, camera... the action... and then... it ended? i was immersed in that world and then i was like... wait a minute! is this all?? did i miss something?

it's not that "i wanted more", it's more like... i didn't get a solid sense of narrative.

maybe nolan is actually the memento guy lol. i mean the character. maybe he forgets things

-

compare to 1917. i loved 1917. it was also an immersive film about an old timey war. there was realism but there was also a beginning, a middle, and an end. tension and release/relief. a story proper. it feels like a dream and you go in those tunnels, but you're going somewhere, and you get there in the end.

with dunkirk there were some great characters and situations, but i did not see them come together in a cogent way. there are snippets, things happen, more things happen, all impressively, and then it ends. memento!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|