View Single Post
Old 08.12.2023, 06:40 AM   #25547
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
funny you should say that, i felt the similarly about dunkirk. have not seen oppenheimer yet.

but in dunkirk i was immediately impressed by the pure spectacle of the thing.... visual, audio, camera... the action... and then... it ended? i was immersed in that world and then i was like... wait a minute! is this all?? did i miss something?

it's not that "i wanted more", it's more like... i didn't get a solid sense of narrative.

maybe nolan is actually the memento guy lol. i mean the character. maybe he forgets things

-

compare to 1917. i loved 1917. it was also an immersive film about an old timey war. there was realism but there was also a beginning, a middle, and an end. tension and release/relief. a story proper. it feels like a dream and you go in those tunnels, but you're going somewhere, and you get there in the end.

with dunkirk there were some great characters and situations, but i did not see them come together in a cogent way. there are snippets, things happen, more thing happen, all impressively, and then it ends. memento!

I just rewatched Dunkirk and I think it’s pretty much perfect. I feel like that movie almost intentionally diverted from too much connection with specific characters to drive home the point of, “Hey, war, amirite? It’s bloody chaos and I don’t mind telling you.”

Also I love the 3 different timeframes/speeds. Really well executed. Honestly it’s probably his best film. But Interstellar is probably the one I love the most on an emotional level, and Dark Knight is the one I watch the most, as you know.

I haven’t seen 1917.

Haven’t seen Oppenheimer either.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|