View Single Post
Old 09.13.2006, 06:07 AM   #10
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The CD dropped through my letter box yesterday, and I listened to it as I was driving around in the afternoon.

It's getting quite difficult to come up with an opinion on Thurston-related improv stuff recently, because the market's getting flooded a little bit. Hardly a week (okay, month) seems to go by without some new release coming out and they all seem to blur into one. This one is okay, but I can't say it's going to be a regular visitor to my CD player. The interplay between the instruments is good, particularly the way the saxophones mesh with everything else, and in short bursts it is exciting, but my problem is that it just seems to go on for too long and I found myself drifting away from it from time to time. Possibly the point is that improv is something best experienced live and not listened to - a recording is just too sterile. If you want to know, though, it's like Flaherty/Corsano, with Thurston doing his thang too.

I don't want to put anyone off buying this, it is a good recording, but I just find myself doubting whether buying recordings is really a worthwhile way to experience improvised music.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|