View Single Post
Old 11.12.2006, 10:45 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
you know, the guy who led the team that cracked the human genome bought some big installation i made for the wellcome trust. that's neat.

what sort of nobel-laureate-style folks out there can say they've got your stuff taking up space in their lives?

That's mighty impressive that his obviously massive intellect could appreciate your work.

Not so impressive here:

I donated a welded scrap iron sculpture to a public library when I was nineteen and they accepted it.

I had a friend buy a painting for $40.00 once.

I traded several paintings and used to go online to print out Aleister Crowley books for a black man in his eighties that was my drug dealer. He was my one and only art patron. He had an ex-wife that he claimed was hexing him by "burning candles" and doing voodoo. He saw my art and claimed that I "had a connection to the spirit world." A few years before that, I rented a two bedroom shack for $110.00 a month from a black preacher in his sixties and he had used the exact same words when he saw my paintings hanging: You have a connection to the spirit world.

A gay man once approached me at the library on the pretense of a Series 7 manual I was studying, can I buy it?, where did I get it?, etc...I talked to him and he said he once lived with Sartre and that he knew an art dealer. He took me out to dinner, we came back to my place, he made a pass at me, I declined, he bought a drawing for $20.00, he left, and that was that.

I donated pieces to an annual Mental Health benefit and Human Rights Festival a few times. One year, a copy of a Warhol "Harlequin" drawing that I had made into a painting went for the second highest amount in the auction...850.00...right behind some R.E.M.-autographed package deal.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|