View Single Post
Old 02.09.2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
I went to this as well, here is a short review I wrote at the time:

I was fortunate enough (small room, maybe enough room for 120-150 people?) to have caught this incredible show last night at the Whitney, Text of Light is a side project of guitarist Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, at this performance it was him, another guitarist Alan Licht, and percussionist Tim Barnes who played a timpani drum and Japanes style gong cymbal(if thats a proper way to describe it) also assorted bells and whisles,

the music itself is avant-garde noise explorations, consisting of dissonant chords, strange noises etc, Lee of course made use of the drum sticks on his guitar, the highlight for me was when he played the guitar by striking it on the body and neck, the reverberation caused it to have the sound of piano chords being struck. As this was happening a movie was projected on a screen by the 1920s Bauhaus artist Moholy-Nagy, here is the film: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71494426028619 , the machine itself was also in the room, and it was turned on and throwing the light show all around, it was pretty trippy weird, otherworldly experience, after that film was over the light machine was shut off and there was a slide show projected by Leah Singer, mostly artistic shots of her photos, shots of NYC= times Square, Las Vegas, closeups of faces, etc, forlorn images that augmented and complemented the music.

In short this was an amazing one of a kind show(I only wish this was filmed/recorded, it was apprx 1 hour show), I think Text of Light will be doing more of this type of shows in the future, and I highly recommend it. here is their web site: http://sonicyouth.com/dotsonics/lee/text/index.html
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|