View Single Post
Old 03.05.2007, 10:39 AM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory

Sonic Youth is one of those very unique bands for whom a large portion of their fanbase wasn't even born when their earlier work was released. You can't say that about A Flock of Seagulls.

Peace.

I can't? Then why do I hear their music playing in cafes full of people under 21 all of the time? There's nothing unique about a band having a large part of their fanbase born after their earlier work was released. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin come immediately to mind as groups that fit that description, and you could fill pages with more. That's what brought us the "Classic Rock" format years ago, and it is indeed all about nostalgia including for those who weren't there the first go around.

What makes Sonic Youth unique is that they by and large refuse to play into that and continue to release great records and side projects while revisiting the past as a secondary agenda item. Of course there are tons of fans who wish they'd tour on a record from two decades ago, there are even quite a few (and I'm not counting you among them, but they do exist) who would have them do nothing but tour on a record from two decades ago. More power to them for seeing that's not a good idea.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|