View Single Post
Old 03.06.2007, 08:13 AM   #21
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I can't? Then why do I hear their music playing in cafes full of people under 21 all of the time? There's nothing unique about a band having a large part of their fanbase born after their earlier work was released. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin come immediately to mind as groups that fit that description, and you could fill pages with more.

Tell those kids in the cafes that Flock of Seagulls are playing in town, and how many of them will shell out $20+ to go see them? As for the Beatles, Zeppelin and other classic rock groups, OK, you have a point. I think we agree that SY has not rested on its laurels and continues to move forward.

So, why it's not a good idea to do a Daydream Nation tour, I don't understand. What's wrong with giving people a chance to hear great music that they haven't heard before? Rhys Chatham just did a tour of Guitar Trio, 30 years after its release. I saw it in Brooklyn, and it was great. Revisiting your past once in a while may be nostalgic by definition, but it no more makes you a "nostalgia act" than cooking an occasional meal makes you a "chef."
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|