View Single Post
Old 03.07.2007, 07:05 PM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Tell those kids in the cafes that Flock of Seagulls are playing in town, and how many of them will shell out $20+ to go see them? As for the Beatles, Zeppelin and other classic rock groups, OK, you have a point. I think we agree that SY has not rested on its laurels and continues to move forward.

So, why it's not a good idea to do a Daydream Nation tour, I don't understand. What's wrong with giving people a chance to hear great music that they haven't heard before? Rhys Chatham just did a tour of Guitar Trio, 30 years after its release. I saw it in Brooklyn, and it was great. Revisiting your past once in a while may be nostalgic by definition, but it no more makes you a "nostalgia act" than cooking an occasional meal makes you a "chef."

Well, I for one would actually be dissapointed to be at a Sonic Youth show and know song for song what they were going to play and what every note sounded like.

I saw them on the original tour for Daydream Nation, and it wasn't like that then. They played other material, which of course wouldn't make sense if they did a tour of that album today.

The great thing about seeing them live is wondering what will happen next and if they might play one of your favorite songs. They usually do too. They play 2-4 songs off of Daydream Nation all of the time. They also play songs off of Sister, which is great for me, since the one tour I've missed since 1985 was Sister because they played a bar in Seattle a month before I turned 21. Does that mean I wish they'd go out again and tour that album all over again two decades later instead of doing new stuff? Uh, no.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|