View Single Post
Old 03.30.2007, 04:19 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mex
Well, INCINERATE is probably my very fave tune off the whole SY discography right now... I love the song so much. And the lyrics are just WONDERFUL.

So I was surfing the net and came thru the famous "Thurston Story" once again, and read carefully this time around...

"Incinerate" is nowhere near my favorite Sonic Youth song, but, like most, it's a good one.
And, although some of the song's imagery does seem to loosely fit the "Thurston story," I think the song has much more to do with being sort of a corollary or follow-up to some of his best lyrics.

On "Candle," Thurston sings:
I can't stay a candle
Gotta change my mind before it burns out

On "Incinerate," Thurston sings:
firefighters hose me down
i don't care i'll burn out anyhow

Now these songs and lyrics may have absolutely nil to do with each other. There certainly is no reasonable proof that they do have anything to do with one another other than the specific words "burn out."
I, however, think differently. I think the songs have everything to do with one another.

Thurston used to really care; now he really doesn't give a fuck
(or at least not like he used to).
lyrics explained...
RATHER RIPPED, baby!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|