View Single Post
Old 08.17.2007, 01:26 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I absolutely and most vehemently disagree. People are NOT idiots. Not all of them. It's incredibly patronising to suggest that 'people gorge on what is offered them' because I'm sure someone who knows more than you on, say, books, could easily call you an idiot for not reading book x or whatever. People are into what they're into.

Ok, I can offer a context for this argument - I was hanging out with this girl a few years ago. She was loads of fun, but not terribly bright, or so I thought. She was into Blink 182 and Green Day and that sort of thing. I turned her onto a few things, and she wasn't overly interested. No big deal. One day we get talking about history. She knew ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING and was only 19. Seriously, she was a complete genius when it came to history (and also fashion, but that probably doesn't appeal to my herewith audience). She would definitely fit your category of 'dumb, listens to what she's fed' with regards music. But I very nearly dismissed her when, in fact, she had (still has in fact) a hell of a lot to offer me. That she's not that into music is really one of the very smallest things imaginable.

From another perspective - I very rarely talk about film. I know full well that I don't like film, and if I tell people what my favourite films are they're not cultured or cool enough or whatever. I don't care, I like what I like and film is not a medium of art that interests me, at all, for any reason. If anything it's wankers telling me that a film isn't 'cultured' enough that makes me not want to watch films. Let people be is my general ethos. I mean, I could school people on whatever my fields of expertise are, but you just come across like a wanker if you do that in public or with your friends. Seriously.

this is all true dude, but we are talking about YOUTH CULTURE, meaning fads, slang, cutting egde style and music and art etc. all this shit either gets lost to history or absorbed into Mainstream popular culture, like hip hop/punk/techno etc have. all I ahve written on this thread applies to youth culture, not to just people living day to day lives man. to each their own is my life's motto!@