View Single Post
Old 11.22.2007, 12:52 AM   #18
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
bright eyes/thurston

this show had the potential to be the best of the year. a large, but amazing venue. thurston moore! and of course, bright eyes - a longtime favorite.

first up were the felice brothers. really good at times - and the drummer was very charismatic. hope to hear more from them in the future.

thurston played about 30 minutes of stuff from trees outside the academy. kind of looked a little uninterested in playing the show. there really weren't a whole lot of people there yet when he played. anyhow, it was pretty awesome to sit behind an elderly couple (guests of the band) and watch thurston do this thing [albeit on an acoustic guitar]. steve shelly's drumming was fantasitc, as usual. thurston dedicated the first song to hilly kristal and one to kim and coco. that's about it. not much dialogue with the audience.

after a lengthy set change, bright eyes came out and played a lot of older stuff, which was great - as i'm not a huge cassadaga fan. they played nearly two hours for the sold out radio city audience (although there were a lot of elderly folks and suits, it wasn't unbearable). highlights include: lua (with accordion from felice bros.), you will..., a tom petty cover with the felice bros., and the finale - a drunken/sloppy/very angry song about the gov't. it was nice to see [the now trimmed] conor actually show some emotion on stage. it is evident he truly feels strongly about the topic. too many "indie kids" these days just don't seem to care on stage. it's just no fun to watch you look like you're asleep! back to this show. it was the last stop of a lengthy tour - and everything poured out after the final song. drinks flew everywhere, mike mogis was jamming by his lonesome, conor kept trying to speak spanish. if thurston would have gotten to play longer - and done more sonic youth stuff, it would've been better. still a hell of a show.

the train ride back to brooklyn was a little comical. there were some really good one liners from our lovely new yorkers (regarding the large crowd of emo kids). why do they still hang on to bright eyes? it's long gone kiddies. find someone else to like so i don't feel so weird going to see them.

bright eyes setlist:

Another Traveling Song
Four Winds
We Are Nowhere And Its Now
You Will
Arc Of Time
Method Acting
Spring Cleaning
If The Brakeman Turns My Way
Bowl Of Oranges
Lua
Poison Oak