View Single Post
Old 11.22.2007, 09:21 AM   #21
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It's a strange situation for a band like Sonic Youth to be in - the whole playing record industry games thing. As bands go, they are pretty much art-rock personified - they're not really rock musicians, they're artists who use rock music as the medium through which they create their art.

At this point I start to struggle with my post. I want to make a comparison between the way that Sonic Youth make their art available and the way that a contemporary visual artist does, and the fact that, because the type of art that Sonic Youth make is marketed in a particular way (e.g. through the record industry), it does not get seen as art, and how frustrating that must be for them, at times. But I don't know enough about contemporary visual arts to provide a decent comparison and then run with it. But hopefully that doesn't get in the way of the point that I'm trying (and probably failing dismally) to make.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|