View Single Post
Old 11.24.2007, 11:42 AM   #30
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
definately echoing what sarramkrop and sonicl have said -

sonic youth deserve to be a massive mainstream band. they have been wanting to achieve it for twenty years and i think that now they should and will sign to another mainstream label, preferably one bigger and with more distribution than geffen. they should keep making pop records like rather ripped and they should do a shit load of commercial tv interviews. they should do this for the simple reason that the people who usually listen to chart and nme bands will discover them, and hopefully will trace their lineage back to the early 80s. they will realise that a rock band can be more than a couple of cool guys w/guitars but can function as a genuinely intelligent, evolving, artistic and commercial unit whilst still retaining smarts and integrity. we still have their past output to listen back on, and becoming huge and commercial will give them more money to persue their own projects - projects which we will all buy and enjoy.

trying to resist the mainstream when they have come all this way, and wanting them to be as obscure and "indie" as they were back then is hugely reductive and pretty conservative really.
sometimes you've gotta work with something if you want to say anything meaningful about it. just look at pop-art.

selling out??
why would anyone want to keep the band a secret? i think sonic youth are smart people, way too smart to "sell-out" in the way i think people on this thread are talking about.
i.e. they have a good dose of humour, vision, and artistic integrity.

So... yr saying they should now just treat Sonic Youth as some fucking marketing ploy? A band, especially one as fucking incredible as SY, should never exist just so the people involved can turn a goddamn buck. Sure, it would be nice for them if more people knew them, but then again, more people would know them, and probably just download their albums*. But I have to disagree COMPLETELY when you say they should just start appealing to the lowest common denominater so they can make more money and fuel whatever side-projects they have... that's incredibly, absurdly stupid.

*That's the sad fact I've had to come to terms with, what with one of the biggest chain stores here (Music World) going bankrupt and closing all stores... but that's a whole 'nother can of worms...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|