View Single Post
Old 12.07.2007, 04:56 PM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
If you actually met half of the people in bands you like, you might find out that they, too, are assholes. Have you met Thurston? No? Have you met Mark E. Smith? No? Okay, then how can you say anything either way? How people portray themselves as an image in a band doesn't necessarily reflect on how they are in person.

I, too, used to say things like what you said.. if I don't like the person, it's hard for me to like their art... and, honestly, it IS hard to get into a band at times if I know they're a bunch of dicks.. but as I've matured, I also realize that there are tons of good racist bands, there are tons of good sexist bands, there are tons of good bands who don't have the same politics as me; you can disagree with the message all you want, but if the music is good -- well, it probably takes a mature person to go, "You know, I don't like you personally, but you are good at what you do." And it took me years to get to that point.

Personally, I've never once had any thoughts of Mark E. Smith as an asshole, I just assume he's highly opionated (and considering how knowledgable he is, I dunno if I can blame him) and his opinions usually rub people the wrong way. And besides, he says things like "WE'RE THE FALL, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOU AND US IS YOU'RE IDIOTS!" to a bunch of fans; it's obviously not meant to be taken seriously. And even if it was, so what? It'd be harder to take some of his lyrics seriously if he was portrayed as this sweetheart.

So, whether you like him or not, to say something like "I'd rather listen to a shit album [Rather Ripped] made by nice people"... well, fuck, I'm a REALLY nice guy, in real life I have no enemies at all, buy my album! If that's all it takes, sweet!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|