View Single Post
Old 05.18.2006, 07:39 AM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The opening paragraph:

"I wanted it to be like our Parallel Lines, when Blondie broke out with Parallel Lines", Thurston Moore is saying. "I remember when Parallel Lines came out we were al so pissed off. 'Why would they make a record with all this lightweight pop stuff on it?' Even though some of the songs are super good. That became their classic and it dictated what they became as a band, which was from my perspective really annoying. I remember thinking when it came out: 'Ewwww, Mike Chapman production.' This is our Parallel Lines. We're trying to make Parallel Lines right."

Later, Jim-related:

Though he has significantly scaled down his musical activities and sold almost all of his instruments, computers and recording equipment, Jim O'Rourke has not retired from music altogether, and future collaborations are planned. "There are only certain places he'll go to," says Gordon. "He's through with Europe and certain cities in the US - I don't think i could get him to play in Chicago. The last Sonic Youth gigs in Europe that he was doing with us, as we would finish each gig in each country he would be checking it off his list. 'I will never come to france again'," Moore laughs. "And Lee would be going, 'That's bullshit, you'rew so full of shit.' And he would be like, 'Nope, I am never coming here again.' He was liberating himself from the planet. It was kind of amazing."

Three more things, but I can't be bothered to type everything out any more:

1. the planned SY/Brigette Fontaine CD/DVD on SYR got abandoned because it tied the label up in red tape for eighteen months or more and the whole SYR catalogue ended up stalled around the one project.

2. There are plans to release an SYR collection of all SY's film music, dating back to Made in USA, on two or three CDs, but they haven't decided whether it should be seperate volumes or one multi-pack.

3. Lee wants to see "A real serious concert series, of different live gigs from different points in our career" on SYR, but says that the process of archiving the recordings, listening to them all and selecting the best ones would be a daunting task.

There is a hell of a lot more to the article than that, so you really should go out and buy The Wire or order it or whatever.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|