View Single Post
Old 10.03.2008, 09:20 AM   #52
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
when i was about 14 or 15 (like alot of you here) i adored nirvana. so after he kept name dropping sonic youth i checked em out. my mom worked at a hair & nail salon and i would always walk across the way to the used book & record store and browse for hours (started crate diggin early) till my mom was done doing the nails of the wives of the texas rangers players. so i saw a cassette of goo and thought "man, that looks kinda stupid". but, kurt said they were awesome, so they must be awesome. so like i usually did, i 5 finger discounted that thing, went next door to the cici's pizza and had lunch while i listened to my new tape. the tape hadn't been rewound so i put it on side a and just pushed play. turns out it was cue'd up to the end of mote. keep in mind i had no idea what so ever what SY sounded like at this point, all i knew was that kurt cobain liked em so i should check em out. so i'm sitting there eating my buffet pizza, having a sweet tea and listening to the trail end of mote. it was fucking weird. at first i thought there was something wrong w/ the cassette, but alas that was just the way it sounded. i fell in love. i couldn't believe music like this actually existed. i played it for all my friends (hell i played it for any one that sould listen), but no one got it. but i did, and that was all i cared about. after that, i looked forward to my weekends w/ my mom. i would eagerly run to the book & record store and steal any and everything i could get my hands on that had even the slightest bit to do w/ SY. i amassed pretty much all there albums up to that point, and when i got to high school i replaced em all w/ the cd's. and that was it, i was a sonic youth fan.
years later i went back to that used book & record store one winter when i was home on leave from the navy and spoke to the owner. i told him about how i stole cd's, tapes, magazines and lp's (not easy to steal by the way) from him constantly for close to 4 years and apologized and gave him $150. it was no where near what i owed him, but i don't hink he really cared. he remembered me and said he kinda figured i was stealing but he didn't have that many customers anyways so it never really bothered him. he was a stand up guy, and he totally got it.

that's how I got into Sonic Youth.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|