View Single Post
Old 03.11.2009, 11:00 PM   #22
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I read SteveOk's post and atsonicpark's post, but regardless:

The album sampler does not offer nearly enough context to judge the music on the album as a whole. Unless a song is pretty much the same all of the way through, hearing 5 to 10 seconds of it will hardly let you know what to expect. If I heard a few seconds of 'Wildflower Soul' from the first minute of the song I'd think it was a snoozer, all the while being obvlivious to the harsh-as-fuck opening and the five minutes or so of pure AWESOME that the mellow beginning opens up to, and I would have unfairly judged one of my favorite Sonic Youth tracks. Furthermore, If I heard a 5 second clip of each song off of 'Sister,' my favorite Sonic Youth album, I can guarantee that my opinion of it would vary greatly depending on where the clips were pulled from (the highlight of a song for me is not the highlight of a song for someone else), and that's assuming that one would even grab the highlight of each song and blow the album's load in such a manner. I assume they just grabbed a few seconds from each song that they thought captured something... not its best moment, but also not a moment that wouldn't convey anything in a few seconds. Ever listen to album samples on Amazon.com? Those clips are much longer and even then they barely give you a feel and can often be misleading. If I had a music editing program on my computer I'd put together such a sampler of some of Sonic Youth's most celebrated albums just to prove the point.

In any case, what the sampler did for me was kill the hype I had built up in my head. All of the weird and crazy expectations I had for the album that I had constructed from my own wildest hopes filtered through tiny bits of information I'd gathered from interviews... all of that was torn down. And that's a fucking good thing. Now I can listen to the album without any baggage going into it.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|