View Single Post
Old 05.09.2009, 12:12 PM   #1
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
This can really be applied to any band, but Sonic Youth is as likely a culprit as any. Does it bug anyone else that people seem to want to rank albums on a number system, declaring one is superior/inferior over the rest? While watching "Antenna" from Jools Holland on Youtube, I noticed a comment that said "How is the new one? Is it the best of the 2000's?"

I think a question like that is pretty silly. If you were to rank a band's albums based from best to worst, it is only doing a disservice to the band, especially a band with a larger discography. You should judge an album based of its own accord and of its own merits. Say on some person's "list", Confusion is Sex were to rank, say, a #10. This isn't very fair to the album, because even if said person were to not prefer it to later Sonic Youth, this shouldn't discredit it as a lesser work. I think more people should see albums from an album-to-album basis. Comparing them to the rest is really only a detriment to the enjoyment of the music, I think.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|