View Single Post
Old 10.19.2023, 07:06 AM   #3751
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
SYMBOLS YOU WROTE SO MUCH AND I’M ON MY PHONE SO I CAN’T REALLY GO THROUGH IT ALL BUT I’M GONNA REPLY TO THIS AT LEAST. LOVE YOU! (OK IT WAS WEIRD TO SAY “LOVE YOU,” BUT WE’RE MATES SO JUST ACCEPT IT.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it's about realism, not escapism, and about how the world *really* works. it's nearly a documentary, but with characters instead of "real" people, drama, and frequent comedic relief.

I totally get this, I do. And I respect it. And you’re right: the show doesn’t seem to be into the cops-as-heroes narrative, nor does it seem to endorse or even subtly suggest that the American judicial system is anything other than completely broken in ways that affect everyone involved.

In fact, so far (to me), it seems as though the show’s central philosophical stance is that American social systems in general are irrevocably tainted by those in power, and that crime, civil unrest, apathy, amorality, etc. are functions of this. Which is true.

I’m not saying I don’t like it, I’m just saying it hasn’t me or floored me. Yet. But the death of you-know-who in Season 2 was definitely a heartbreaking gut-punch that felt true to life.

You mentioned Mad Men, which is definitely realistic, but also more stylized and heavily flourished, almost bordering on magical realism at times. But I think that might be why it jumps out more as a “Best of All Time” contender. It has all that atmosphere to lean on while characters develop. The atmosphere in The Wire just looks like, y’know, life. So it has a handicap stylistically.

Anyway, you EVENTUALLY watched The Leftovers, so, partly because this is a show you’re passionate about, I will continue to watch. Also, again, I don’t dislike it. It’s just not hitting me like, say, Succession.

BTW did you ever finish Succession?

More later maybe
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|