View Single Post
Old 01.12.2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
howdy folks...

i was just listening to 11/23/92 milan (released as the 'schizophrenia' bootleg) and noticed something lee said right before JC sounded familiar, from a show i'd just heard. sure enough, the versions of "JC" on both 10/24/92 nyc ("100% a kool thing" bootleg) and 11/23/92 milan ("schizophrenia") are identical - begins with lee saying "that was the obligatory pause and costume change" followed by THE MOST FUCKED UP HORRIBLE VERSION OF "JC" EVER.

see, that's what i don't get --- if i had to guess, i'd say "JC" is actually from the 10/24/92 nyc show, because the "100% a kool thing" bootleg is known to be missing 'expressway' between JC and nic fit/noII. (btw the beginning and end of no pt II from nyc are tracks 1 and 2 on tv shit). on 'schizophrenia', JC is immediately followed by 'expressway', which has a long noise outro w/ thurston doing his usual freestyle distorted mic tripout that leads into 'nic fit' etc when eyebore would come out, at least on the oct '92 tour. now, 'expressway' fades at the end of the 'schizophrenia' bootleg, so theoretically it could lead into the 'nic fit' and 'no II' track that closes the '100% a kool thing' bootleg. this would leave the milan encore unsurfaced..?

to summarize, i believe:

- JC is the exact same version on circulating recordings (sourced from silver bootlegs released in the 90s) of 10/24/92 and 11/23/92

- this version of JC is probably from 10/24/92, which would mean so is 'expressway' (aka the last 2 tracks of the 'schizophrenia' bootleg)

- the actual milan encore is unknown ?

do non-bootleg sources of these 2 shows circulate?

fun!

edit--oh yeh, i never got around to what i didn't get.. see, this is what i don't get -- if you're, say, a bootlegger wishing to release the milan show but it has a HORRIBLE version of JC and you think you'd rather include a good version from another show, i could possibly understand that. maybe. or if you didn't have the encore for the show you were releasing, maybe swipe one from a competitor's disc. alright. but to deliberately include such a disastrous version of a song from another show? i don't get it. BUT, considering their source had 'expressway' which was not on the bootleg, i suppose the question is where did they get it, and why did they add it onto the milan boot...?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|