View Single Post
Old 08.14.2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth to perform on 'Gossip Girl': a Music Mix exclusive!

by Whitney Pastorek
Categories: An EW Exclusive!, News, Sonic Youth, Television
http://ewmusicmix.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=320&h=240One of New York’s greatest bands is about to appear on New York’s hottest show: EW has confirmed that Sonic Youth will perform an acoustic version of their 1986 single “Starpower” on the fifth episode of Gossip Girl this fall.
“Sonic Youth is one of my favorite bands,” says GG showrunner Stephanie Savage, “and last year when I was doing my regular Gossip Girl google search, it came up in some blog about a Sonic Youth show that Thurston [Moore] was playing ‘Psychic Hearts’ and Gossip Girl was playing on a screen in the background. And I was like, ‘Whaaaat? Oh my god. I hope they’re not making fun of us! I hope it was a cool, edgy homage!’ And it turned out that it was — tongue in cheek for sure, but definitely with love, and that they were fans of the show.” (Perhaps worth mentioning: Moore and his bandmate and wife, Kim Gordon, have a 15 year old daughter.)
Last year, Moore and Be Your Own Pet’s Jemima Pearl cut a cover of the Ramones’ “Sheena is a Punk Rocker” for use during Jenny Humphrey’s guerrilla fashion show, and Savage says the conversation continued from there. “We have a very special event coming in Episode 5 that we’re filming right now,” she says, “and they seemed the ideal musical guest for it.” But in fine GG fashion, Savage is mum about the exact circumstances of the festivities involved. “It’s a big event that involves [betrothed adults] Rufus and Lily. Just draw your own conclusions,” she laughs.
What do you think, Mixers? Does the appearance of a seminal counter-culture band on a populist show like GG inspire OMG!s, WTF?s, or TSO!s? (The latter stands for “They Sold Out,” to be said in an exhausted tone of voice, forgetting that the chance for a whole new audience to hear the awesomeness of Sonic Youth is, well, totes awes.) Is this cooler than last season’s No Doubt appearance? And even though Savage says, “I can kind of die now. I don’t really have anywhere to go from here,” who would you like to see guest-perform next?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|