View Single Post
Old 06.24.2006, 12:08 AM   #16
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
as a rule of thumb, hardcore Ween & The Flaming Lips fans have lots more disposable income than Sonic Youth fans.

you lost me there, though i'd be interested to hear you expound on your theory of why you think that is. i've never seen a flaming lips show, but i've been to around 20 ween shows. i'd hardly call the crowd a bunch of rich kids. i think ween fans are some of the most rabid around, and i think the reason they sell out more shows has more to do with the fact that their shows are two to three hours long and they mix up their setlists, so it's very easy to become obsessed with what songs they're going to play. you feel like if you miss one of their shows you're missing something important because they might bust out a prince song or something and you want to be there for that moment. sonic youth sticks to the traditional tour formula of new songs to support the new album, one or two oldies during the show and then an encore of a crowd pleaser. it's a formula that works, but not that you necessarily want to follow them from city to city and see them multiple times in a short time period. that's my theory on why they sell out more than sonic youth. i can't contribute in any meaningful way on the flaming lips, though i do look forward to seeing them and finding out why they sell out a lot of shows.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|