Thread: Album Trilogy
View Single Post
Old 09.22.2008, 01:42 PM   #17
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Thurston was probably just bullshitting like he usually does in interviews..

This is, of course, the correct answer.

Anyone who ponders something Thurston says in an interview as the Gospel is in for a spiritual crisis. Oftentimes, I think Thurston even believes his B.S. when he says it, but he frequently says stuff that is just meant to create a temporary buzz about whatever they are doing as if it's part of some big grand plan. If you look at the real history of the band and the way they've done things, they really don't think that far in advance, and when they do it changes!

Nurse is not the third part of a trilogy of albums about NYC (and yes Thurston did make that claim himself in interviews, because I read it too). I know this is a bit disillusioning for some of you who want to believe in the Sonic Master plan, but I felt the same way when I was 18-19 and I really believed they were going to cover the entire White Album. They probably even believed they were going to do that too, but mostly it was just hype in interviews to sound important. As an overall strategy it's hard to argue that's worked for Sonic Youth.

Expect when the new record is done, but not yet out, to see interviews with Thurston where he says it's the noisiest album they've ever done without any real songs. Then it will come out and have pop moments on every track. This is what he does, every time.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|