View Single Post
Old 10.18.2018, 07:35 AM   #4787
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Identity Politics, as it's defined from within and being implemented, privileges one voice over another, fundamentally. It believes that for one group to speak, another must be silent. That's my lived experience of it, at the level of working in an institution that's adopted it as policy. We can argue about the theoretical underpinnings of it but as you say yourself, it's about praxis, not abstract ideas. But my experience isn't necessarily extendable to the situation as a whole.

right. because it’s not. here for example some tribes said no oil pipeline through my water supply and the pipeline went through anyway.

black football players started protesting the killing of black people by police and the police keeps killing and the protestors get branded traitors

so, no, i don’t see this phenomenon in practice

here it’s always the same people that keep getting silenced

Quote:
Either way, I don't think Trump is a phenomenon reducible to Identity politics, or a backlash against it (I'm sure you don't either).

i do. i said so before. i see it primarily as an ethnic phenomenon.

sure it has other pieces but to me that’s the core.

this is the corollary of what the republican party has been doing since, oh... the 60s, 70s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
Quote:
My real interest in it is why so many people who would've traditionally called themselves Left wing appear to be turning away from traditionally (but in my view now only nominally) Left wing political parties. My perspective was always focused on Britain/Europe but the Trump election made me interested in the US, too. I read J.D. Vance's book, Hillbilly Elegy, alongside, albeit more polemical stuff like Mick Hume's Revolting, which lead me to make real connections between what was going on in the US, with Trump, and what I saw happening here, with Brexit. As someone who considers themselves 'of the Left' who voted for Brexit against the EU, and (had I ben eligible) would've probably voted for Trump over Hillary (at least in hindsight) that interests me.

why so many people are turning away, probably because with universal ideals disappearing people are going back to their tribal identities.

and yes the loss of the ideal is why i think a way forward is important. what was called “the vision thing” in the clinton era. where is the new enlightenment?

here 2 interesting bits of stuff to make us all worry:

1. prof. brian o’blivion (lol) on the return of tribalism
https://youtu.be/FvATW2nfYZg
(had he only lived to see social media...)
long live the new flesh...

2. this article that harks back to david hume
https://www.wired.com/story/why-pure...can-tribalism/

yep, it’s the fall of rome... and attila is coming
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|