View Single Post
Old 05.22.2019, 07:53 AM   #2775
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Ha, I get it. I truly do. I have had this convo with a few other friends that do enjoy the show. They do say it's worth sticking out. Only a few though.

And I am not talking that scene specifically when discussing his red herring writing style, just more of a generalized statement. I think he has been able to build a career out of this hack "keep them engaged" style, which I feel we are seeing more and more of lately. In fact, that is one of my main issues with where GOT ended. I really hate being strung along by "mysterious" elements only to have no resolution or payoff. It's cheap, bad writing, imo. Plain and simple. (Ugh, I went cynical again, and was going to leave it where it was, but I figured that much of an explanation was warranted.)

Now, does that hold true for all of Leftovers? To be fair, I don't know, honestly. But that was my experience with the show. I watched the first season while it was being aired, week to week. I'll admit, I was engaged and intrigued as to why so much odd shit was happening. The story seemed to be building interestingly. Going into the season finale though, I literally said to myself, "If this mother-fucker answers 'why' to even TWO things he has thrown at me throughout the season, I might continue on." But he didn't. He truly did not. Just more cliffhanger red herring bullshit, so I wrote it off. I hate sitting on the edge of my seat only to have it pulled out from beneath me.

Now that I can binge it, and based off some peoples' passion for it, I may go back and give the other two season's their fair share. Being that it is adapted from decently regarded source material does make me think it might resolve more than I expect. It will be hard for me to approach it again with an open mind though.

The show did introduce me to Wolf Alice, whom I genuinely do enjoy. (flame on...)

I’ll say this: the GREAT WHY of the show is never truly “answered” (Rapture? Energy disturbance or some shit? Etc.) but a lot of the mysteries surrounding that question are answered.

It is.... oh my god... so satisfying

And heartbreaking

When you get to the last episode (and there are only 3 seasons, so it’s not hard to get there)

WATCH IT GODDAMN YOUR EYEZ
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|