View Single Post
Old 09.01.2008, 10:32 AM   #45
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Melly, I think you've made a completely fair assessment here. However, for the record, among noiseheads (where I totally don't rank myself!), Wolf Eyes are most definitely not considered power electronics.

When I saw Wolf Eyes (also opening for Sonic Youth, though in 2003) I had the same overall reaction as most of you. They seemed to put way too much faith in the tricks of their instruments and equipment without really doing much that was innovative with them. I must say though, that I found the Human Animal album on Sub Pop way better than that, and they were actually doing pretty interesting stuff. So I get the feeling they must be pretty hit and miss. Or else they just can't do live what they can with time to edit, which is equally possible. Though there must be some reason SY keeps having them open for them, so I'm guessing it's the "hit and miss" factor.

Good point, Dead-Air. Wolf Eyes are not classic power electronics at all - inspired by yes, but otherwise they are a different beast. Their frat-boy shtick can be humourous or (far more often) tiresome, but on a good day they are very good live. You do get the best of them from the likes of "Burned Mind", though.