View Single Post
Old 12.29.2016, 09:22 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I actually like all of these songs. I go back and forth between "Unwind" and "Saucer-Like"... they're like two sides of the same coin, and while I tend to prefer Tracks with Lee on vocals, "Unwind" has that killer second half. Tension and dissonance and a build-up more ominous than that of "Saucer-Like."

I see a lot of folks have issues with "Junkie's Promise" and "Panty Lines," but I like both tracks. Junkie's is one of the heaviest Sonic Youth songs. You can hear a bit of Melvins in that crunching guitar. It defies pop songcraft and melody and sounds ugly as sin but it's also very full and has a great climax.

"Panty Lines" is obviously not a classic, but I don't skip over it. There's a lot about it to love. But then I also like Arthur Doyle Hand Cream, so... maybe I'm just fucked up?

Bottom line about Washbg Machine though: it's great (great) but I disagree with the common belief that it represents a return to form for the band. I actually prefer Goo and A Thousand Leaves over it in terms of the band's '90s output. I don't think they needed any "saving" or "rebranding" after EJST&NS. I fucking LOVE that album. Who among us hasn't had "Bull in the Heather" and "Sweet Shine" stuck in our heads for the past 20 years?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|