View Single Post
Old 12.26.2007, 09:53 PM   #8
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
some more arguments on the 180 grm vinyl versus std vinyl (120 grm) war!

This is from the moderator from the My Bloody Valentine board, about the differences in sound in Loveless; between the original vinyl, cd and the remastered 180 grm vinyl and i tend to agree with all of his points:

"The 180-gram, It's definitely more sturdy. I know engineers out there that would call 180-gram vinyl a gimmick, because far more important than weight is the quality of the cut lacquer, the quality of the actual vinyl material and the quality of the pressing process. Some say that the 180-gram does allow for a deeper grove, but that's crap. The 180-gram record's grooves have the same depth as a 120gram record plated from the same cut laquer. The reason why most 180-gram albums sound better is because of quality control ... and when you spend a lot of $$$ on a vinyl pressing, and you get 180-gram... usually you get an excellent product because you're spending a lot of cash. Now the 180-gram does allow for more flatness and stability, and it's more durable. So there's a bonus there, but it's not really that much of a bonus in audio quality."

so basically i'd also advise unless you have a pretty decent turntable and stereo system i wouldn't spend the effort in getting 180 grm vinyl reissues because of price, and you not only potentially ruin the vinyl it may not perceptively sound anybetter than std. vinyl on a crappy player.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|