View Single Post
Old 06.25.2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Maybe itīs hard to believe, but when Eternal came, I was really excited about it and thinking it was their Sgt. Pepper! I mean it is kind of "perfect" SY album, great songs and sounds are quite soft and balanced, there are no sharp elements that are very typical almost all the other SY albums (I think only comparison to Eternal is Daydream Nation). I donīt mean I donīt like those sharp elements. Well, maybe I even then didnīt think it was better than EVOL or Sister, but anyway SY is to me one of the rare bands whose material havenīt ever got bad. There are two albums, that I was disappointed right after their release, but I have also learned to love them later.

I donīt think itīs realistic to expect that SY will decide to make a "great, final album" and also succeed in that. I think in art when somebody is trying to make something, I mean in purpose trying to make something really great, itīs just donīt work. I think whatīs really great in SY-albums that they sound very natural made to me.

I don't agree about it being the "perfect SY album," but I am on board with just about everything else you're saying. I too was extremely excited for Eternal, as I have been for every new SY album since the mid 90s. However, I have been listening to them long enough to know never to be surprised if an album doesn't grab me on the first listen. Very few of them have, and I knew Eternal would probably be no different. It's taken Mich lo Ger than usual for this one to grab me, but it finally has.

I think the album stands out or its production, which is often shat on by fans, but is actually extremely precise. Yes, it's kind of "big rock" sounding, but it's "big rock" done extremely well.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|